Wednesday, August 1, 2018

My Dreams Came True: A Disney Christmas Miracle


I have had the pleasure of visiting Disney World twice in my life. The first time was as a young child. I was seven years old. I remember myself as sometimes being very afraid of the world at that age. But all fear was gone when I rode “It’s a Small World After All.” My family and group lost me for the next long hour or so as I jumped the line and rode it over and over again until I was spotted, nabbed, and led back to my parents. It was a turning point in my life to see that the world wasn’t scary after all. There were two other things I distinctly remember from that trip: I was sadly whisked through the World Showcase when all I wanted was to explore every nook and cranny of it and I REALLY wanted a Mickey Mouse shaped Ice Cream Sandwich. With five children and a strong sense of equality of treatment, this would have been a costly endeavor for my young parents. 

Fast forward twenty seven years. Christmas time is approaching and all my siblings are preparing to spend their Happy Holidays off with the families of their spouse. I, being single, don’t really have an alternative to an empty house with just Mom and Dad, though I love them dearly. My childhood friend Madelene calls me up, “Heidi! Do you want to go to Disney World with us for Christmas?” Well, that was an easy yes. So I flew down to Orlando to join in the Holiday Festivities Disney style with my dear life long friends.  On Christmas Day we make plans to meet up at Epcot Center for lunch. After delicious Moroccan Cuisine, our group scatters and I find myself standing alone looking out over the World Showcase. It was my Christmas gift from God. He remembered my childhood wish and I explored every nook and cranny of those vignettes on my own terms and ended the glorious experience with none other than a Mickey Mouse shaped Ice Cream Sandwich. It is a gift I will never forget.

Thank you Disney for helping a young child see that all her dreams can come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment