Sunday, October 17, 2010

The PCC

Over the river and through the woods, well actually across a very small road and a few palm trees from my house, is this big compound with occasional loud noises of booming drums, strange shouts, and lively singing emanating from its walls. Last week I made an appearance there to see what all of this excitement was really about. I was told that the Hawaiian Islands are the most isolated land in the world and if I was to go jump in the ocean and start swimming it would be over 2,000 miles before I was to reach another shore outside these few Volcanic bumps in the sea. But, despite what they said, you'd be surprised with what you can find here.

Family...

family...












and more family.


Actually, if you count Hawaii as part of Oceana instead of it's usual place in North America (I know it's not but just say if it was), two of these found people have stood with me on five continents in the last two years. I think I need to plan a trip to South America and see if they end up there too. I also met people from Georgia, Ohio, Tonga, and my Comm 252 class. Who knew? :)

All that delightful noise? yes, it is a party.



The canoe show. You may ask, "Do they ever fall in?" Well, I don't know if the dancers do but the canoe pushers on one vessel were pushed in by the dancers.

Tongan drum show. They always make sure and grab one person from Japan to come up and join in on the festivities.


Hawaiian royalty. I decided to play paparazzi from afar.


The Iospa ship: what they used to get around from here before all those metal boats and planes were available.




Another recipe to add to your collection. This Tahitian Coconut bread is GOOD!















I played Tongan shuffleboard. They use cool looking wild beans and homemade mats. I want to learn how to make the mat.

I visited all seven villages, made a rose and a fish out of Pandalas and Coconut leaves, watched the fire dancers, ate like a queen at the Luau, and enjoyed the people both new and known. It's amazing what you find when you make an effort to meet the neighbors!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, I must admit I'm just a little envious of you! but I am very happy you are having a great time out there. Do some playing on the beach for us and the kids. Loves

    ReplyDelete