Monday, May 17, 2010

Linguistics

I've been looking around at several school programs in the UK lately. Just for fun for right now, but I think it would be a great experience to get a Masters Degree in England. I did my Undergraduate in Linguistics at BYU. Oxford had the best explanation of what Linguists study that I'd seen in awhile:

Linguistics is the study of language in all its aspects. Linguists are interested in the structure and history of languages; the meaning underlying instances of language use (semantics); how languages are related; how children learn language; what goes on when people are speaking; how people understand, mentally represent and generate language; what features are shared by all languages; why languages differ; how language is used in literature, the media and by various social groups; what happens to language abilities when the brain is damaged by stroke or injury; whether computers will ever be able to understand language; how we can model human language use. http://www.ling-phil.ox.ac.uk/prospective


I love linguistics! Yes I did study all that. One reason I did is that it is through language that we learn about all the other things around us and build bonds with other people. That was my undergrad experience and it made me happy to revisit it for a moment and remember the cool things I learned. Someday I hope to know many more languages than I do now. For now though, I enjoy knowing a bit more how Language works in general. Delightful stuff!

2 comments:

  1. So...that means, then, that you definitely need to go to England to study. Right?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan! I'm looking into it. :)

    ReplyDelete